Curing Stress with the Help of Quran
Have you seen a single person who says, ‘I am living a stress free life’? Well, I can’t say yes. Stress is the common syndrome of modern age. We can say that stress has been a part of our lives nowadays. In this article we will explore and learn about curing stress with the help of the Quran.
There can be many causes of stress, depression or hopelessness e.g. a lot of work load, unwillingness to do something, restlessness or happenings of unexpected things in our life. Stress is a common disease in every one doesn’t mean that is not curable. But it depends a lot on the willingness of a person and the ways he adopts to overcome his stress or depression.
The health of our brain and thoughts depends on the things we feed in our mind. There is never an ideal situation for everyone. But our viewpoint and thinking approach matters very much in all the circumstances.
It is comparatively easy for a Muslim to overcome his stress and depression than others. Because the faith we have in Allah Almighty keeps us strong and robust.
Being Muslim we believe that we are not owner of anything. It is our conviction that ultimate power belongs only to Allah Subhana Wa Ta’ala and we all will return to Him one day. It is mentioned in the Quran,
وَلَنَبْلُوَنَّكُم بِشَىْءٍۢ مِّنَ ٱلْخَوْفِ وَٱلْجُوعِ وَنَقْصٍۢ مِّنَ ٱلْأَمْوَٰلِ وَٱلْأَنفُسِ وَٱلثَّمَرَٰتِ ۗ وَبَشِّرِ ٱلصَّـٰبِرِينَ ١٥٥
“We will certainly test you with a touch of fear and famine and loss of property, life, and crops. Give good news to those who patiently endure”.
(Quran 2: 155)
The purpose of this testing doesn’t mean that Allah SWT leaves us alone in that time period. Rather He brings us closer to Him in the time of stress or grief. It is similarly like that when are not feeling well, we rush to the doctor and get medicines for instant relief. Likewise when our heart and soul are restless and we want to relax, we start remembering Allah Almighty and the Sunnah of our beloved Prophet Muhammad SAW.
Holy Prophet PBUH went through unfathomable tough times in his life. And we learn patience and tolerance throughout his life. When the son of Prophet Muhammad SAW, Ibrahim passed away, he expressed his sorrow and grief in this way,
“The eyes are shedding tears and the heart is grieved, and we will not say except what pleases our Lord. O Ibrahim, indeed we are grieved by your separation”.
It is basic of our faith in Allah Almighty that we shouldn’t feel alone when going through hard times. Life is a test and stress, depression, anxiety and hopelessness can be causes to fail us in this test.
Tips to Cure Stress, Anxiety and Depression with the help of Quran
Let us discuss some effective tips with the help of Quran in the state of stress and anxiety.
- When you start feeling anxiety, Quran is the best companion to heal you up. Allah Almighty says in Quran,
ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُوا۟ وَتَطْمَئِنُّ قُلُوبُهُم بِذِكْرِ ٱللَّهِ ۗ أَلَا بِذِكْرِ ٱللَّهِ تَطْمَئِنُّ ٱلْقُلُوبُ ٢٨
“Those who have faith and whose hearts find peace in the remembrance of Allah, truly it is in the remembrance of Allah that hearts find peace”.
(Quran 13: 28)
Recitation of the Quran increase your spiritual power. The true words of Allah SWT in Quran helps you to combat stress. Recitation of Quran with understanding helps you to restraint the stress and anxiety from your life. Quran says,
إِنَّ فِى ذَٰلِكَ لَذِكْرَىٰ لِمَن كَانَ لَهُۥ قَلْبٌ أَوْ أَلْقَى ٱلسَّمْعَ وَهُوَ شَهِيدٌۭ ٣٧
“Surly in this is a reminder for whoever has a mindful heart and lends an attentive ear”
(Quran 50: 37)
- Listening to audio Quran is also a way to be relaxed. There are so many authentic audio Quran apps now days, you can listen Quran with translation in your familiar language.
- If you have memorized some portion of Quran, start spending time to memorize a little bit more. In this way you can keep yourself busy in a productive activity. It is beneficial not only in this world but in the next life as well.
- Increase the habit of “Dhikr” and Dua. It will make you closer to Allah Almighty. Allah says, “Remember me. I will remember you”
- Point out your mistake and start your counseling by yourself. It will groom up your personality and give you a positive track that leads to success.
- Ask for forgiveness to Allah Almighty. He is very kind and merciful. Sometimes a wrong deed leads us to anxiety. In this situation “Astaghfar” is the best thing to do. Allah says in Quran,
ۗ إِنَّ ٱللَّهَ لَا يُغَيِّرُ مَا بِقَوْمٍ حَتَّىٰ يُغَيِّرُوا۟ مَا بِأَنفُسِهِمْ ۗ
“Indeed Allah will not change the condition of people until they change what is in themselves”
(Quran 13: 11)
Allah SWT is always here to help us. All we need to do is to have faith in Him. We should pray to Him with pure heart. He listens and answers. May Allah forgive us in our minor and major mistakes. May He SWT leads us always to His right path. Ameen.