In Islam there are implications for every things, e.g. Quran is superior on all other books, the month of Ramadan is the most blessed month among all, the day of Friday is counted as a most sacred day in the whole weak, Prophet Muhammad SAWW is the religious leader among all other messengers of Allah. In the same way Laylatul Qadr is the holiest night in a year.
In this composition about the night of power or Laylatul Qadr, we are going to discuss the virtues, blessings, duas, prayers and all other things to do on this holy night.
First of all we need to understand what is Laylatul Qadr actually? Why is it awaited for the whole year? When is Laylatul Qadr and why do people sacrifice their sleep for this night?
You may also like to learn; Things to do in Ramadan.
What is Laylatul Qadr? Meaning & Virtues
Laylatul Qadr is an Arabic word that means “A Night of Greatness’’. Different scholars named this night in different ways e.g. Shab e Qadr, Night of Decree, Night of Power, Valuable Night, and a Night of Honor.
According to all these terms awarded to this night, we must admit that one should hold this night in a great significance. According to a hadith,
“This month (Ramadan) has come to you, and in it there is a night (Laylatul Qadr) that is better than thousands of months. Whoever is deprived of it is deprived of all goodness, and no one is deprived of its goodness except one who is truly deprived”
As we have mentioned, the word, “Layatul Qadr” has different denotations and meanings, but according to some Islamic scholars, the most believed meaning of Laylatul Qadr is “The Night of Decree”. That means on this holy night, the destination of everyone was decided. The fate and fortune of each and every person was documented.
Al-Hasan Al-Basri, Mujahid and Qatadah are three renowned early Muslim scholas. According to them, “all the affairs of lifespan, deeds, creation, and provision are decreed on Laylatul-Qadr in the month of Ramadan and will come to pass in the coming year.”
The second valuable thing about this night is, Holy Quran was revealed by Allah SWT on Prophet Muhammad SAWW through an angle Jibrael A.S. The very first verses of Holy Quran were publicized from Jannah on this holy night.
The Holy Quran was revealed to help mankind. It brings great mercy to its reader. In the same way, the holy night of Laylatul Qadr brings a great fortune to the one who prays Allah Almighty on this powerful night.
If we do ibadah properly on this night to please Allah Almighty, it can erase our previous sins and bring blessings and mercy of Allah SWT to us.
We find the importance of this holy night not only in hadith, rather the virtues and significance of Laylatul Qadr is also indicated in the Quran.
In Holy Quran Allah SWT Says,
إِنَّآ أَنزَلْنَـٰهُ فِى لَيْلَةِ ٱلْقَدْرِ ١
Indeed, ˹it is˺ we ˹Who˺ sent this ˹Quran˺ down on the Night of Glory.
وَمَآ أَدْرَىٰكَ مَا لَيْلَةُ ٱلْقَدْرِ ٢
And what will make you realize what the Night of Glory is?
لَيْلَةُ ٱلْقَدْرِ خَيْرٌۭ مِّنْ أَلْفِ شَهْرٍۢ ٣
The Night of Glory is better than a thousand months.
تَنَزَّلُ ٱلْمَلَـٰٓئِكَةُ وَٱلرُّوحُ فِيهَا بِإِذْنِ رَبِّهِم مِّن كُلِّ أَمْرٍۢ ٤
That night the angels and the ˹holy˺ spirit descend, by the permission of their Lord, for every ˹decreed˺ matter.
سَلَـٰمٌ هِىَ حَتَّىٰ مَطْلَعِ ٱلْفَجْرِ ٥
It is all peace until the break of dawn.
That is why along with other ibadah, we should recite the Quran as much as we can on this Holy night. We should engage ourselves with the teachings of the Quran as well.
When is Laylatul Qadr?
Prophet Muhammad SAWW said,
“Look for it (Laylatul Qadr) in the odd nights of the last ten nights of the month of Ramadan”(Bukhari).
So, the exact date and time of Laylatul Qadr is not mentioned anywhere in the Quran and hadith. But we are instructed to find it in the odd nights of the last ten days of Ramadan. Because of the above mentioned hadith, the last ten days or 3rd stage of the month of Ramadan is considered more sanctified and sacred.
Since we don’t know the date and time of Laylatul Qadr, there are few signs that can indicate the befalling of this night.
- Laylatul Qadr will be neither too hot, nor too cold.
- Atmosphere will be quite calm and pleasant
- And the sun will appear weak and reddish on the next day.
Things to Do on Laylatul Qadr?
There are some consecrated actions to be done on this holy night of power.
- Offer prophetic duas and supplications
- Go to mosque with your family and make dua in cluster
- Recite the Holy Quran along with understanding the meaning of it. If you have memorized some portions of the Quran, recite them and implement the teachings of it in your daily life.
- Giving sadaqah or charity in the month of Ramadan, multiplies your deed by 70 times. You can get forgiveness from Allah Almighty for your major or minor sins in this night by little good deeds. Even giving a glass of water to a thirsty person can be a source of blessing from Allah SWT.
- Arrange Iftar with your family and share it with your relatives, neighbors or with some needy people. Even if it is just a few dates it brings a lot of blessings upon you and your family. It causes brotherhood and companionship among you.
- Muslims in all over the world go for Itikaf in the last ten days of Ramadan. They spend their days and nights in the Dhikr and Ibadah of Allah SWT. People during Itikaf are disconnected with the worldly life. They are strongly connected with their Creator.
- Pray salat Tobah and Salat Hajaat on this night. Also say additional prayers and Nawafil in this night.
- Recite plenty of Astaghfar on this holy Night.
- Send Durood to the Holy Prophet SAWW on this Holy Night.
Duas for Laylatul Qadr
There are some specific duas to recite in this holy night,
“Allah is all knowing, Alla wise”
Here is another dua,
اللهم إني أَسْأَلُكَ العَفْوَ والعَافِيَةَ والمُعَافَاةَ في الدُنْيا والآخِرَة
O Allah I ask of you Wellbeing & forgiveness in this world & the hereafter.
May Allah SWT forgive our sins. May He bless His creatures with His mercy and blessings. May we all Muslims can celebrate Laylatul Qadr in a blessed way and can get its blessings more and more. Amen.